Friday, September 28, 2007

Wikis-#16

I think that Wikis sound like a great way to share information. Children's librarians could use them to share programs, fingerplays or books that worked well in storytime. I know that there has been reluctance to put storytimes on the library webpage because of questions about the attribution of fingerplays (its often hard to tell who originated them and who just just put them on their webpage). But an internal wiki could allow librarians from different branches to share ideas.


I liked the subject guides on SJCPL's website. I can see advantages and disadvantages to having a wiki as part of the library website. It would take a lot of work to keep current. And you would definitely want to look at things before they were posted. Local history sources and geneology sources would a great thing to have on a library wiki. There are a lot of people who know specialized sources that even librarians may not be aware of. And some librarians have more expertise than others, and would be able to share their sources and tips for using the sources. I like the way that SJCPL showed a source for looking up obituaries, and then put a link next to it that gave helpful hints about how to search that source.

I also like the conference wikis. It's nice to have so much information all together in one place. As long as you brought your laptop to the meeting, it would be very useful. Assuming there was wireless access available.

I also thought it was interesting that SJCPL had a list of local scholarships, with the requirements and contact people. If I was a patron, I might have been disappointed that they didn't have the actual forms, but at least it gives people an idea of what is available.

No comments: