Tuesday, October 2, 2007

2.0 Awards List-#19

I wanted to select a site that was very different from others we have been exploring. So I selected Pandora, the first place music site. I looked around the site and tried out making a temporary station. I have not yet set up an actual account, but very likely will some time in the near future. The site says that it requires DSL and since our home computer is still down, I don't have any immediate incentive. This requirement also implies that we would not be encouraged to listen on staff computers at work, since it may slow things down. But I very much like the idea of a ready source of music tailored to fit my mood and tastes. You can set up as many as 100 separate stations based on songs or artists you like. You can have a free account with advertisting or a paid account without. I like the fact that the artists are compensated and that they play not just the artists you select but also others who share similar characteristics, so you are introduced to artists you may not have otherwise heard about. I based my trial station on the music of Django Rinehart, who I haven't listened to for a while, and very much enjoyed the selection. To listen to more, I would have had to set up an account, and while I may do so soon, I am not ready to yet. But I am very glad to know about it. It will probably not be a site I would use often at the library. Mainly because you cannot request a certain song be played on demand. You also cannot replay a song that was just played. So it would not be useful for patrons looking for a particular song. But I would certainly recommend it as a site for someone who is interested in more casual listening.

No comments: