Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Downloadable Audiobooks-#22

I think that the downloadable audiobooks are a wonderful source, and I am very glad that our library has made this available. It seems like a very much more efficient method, than to come in and check out a book on CD or tape. Patrons used to often come on and ask if we had a list of talking books that they could browse through. So it is nice that you can browse these titles as well as search for a specific title.

I am more visually oriented than audio oriented, so I much prefer my books to be in paper form. The last time I had to listen to an audio book, I had my son download the discs to his laptop so I could listen at 2X speed. It is surprising how normal that sounds. Nonetheless, I think that I would be much more likely to listen to an audiobook using an MP3 player than CDs. With CDs I tend to walk away from the player and then realize I have missed a chunk of the story. If I get an MP3 player, I think I will definitely download a book and try listening. Even the dedicated MP3 players that the library is considering getting seem to me a drastic improvement over CDs, but I think that the downloadable books sound even better.

I might try listening to Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett after hearing him speak at the National Book Festival this weekend.

I definitely think that having an MP3 player and downloading a couple of books would make it easier for any librarian to be able to show patrons how to download books.

1 comment:

David Sewell said...

All of the unabridged Discworld audiobooks read by either Nigel Planer or Stephen Briggs are excellent (Feet of Clay is Planer). They're both good at finding distinctive voices for characters, so the result is kind of a cross between reading a book and going to a play.

Just don't bother with the American-cast version of Thief of Time--it's pretty ghastly.